Friday, November 7, 2014

Diet and Nutrition - Be careful who you get your advice from!

One of my biggest rants is the staggering amount of 'dietary disinformation' that is dispensed to diabetics by professional dietitians on a regular, consistent basis.

On a recent hospital stay, I was advised by a hospital nutritionist that I *needed* more carbs in my meal choices, even as a type II diabetic. After enduring the same argument over and over for multiple meals, I did finally cave in (against my better judgement!) and followed the advice given, and increased my carb intake for one of my meals. Needless to say, my after meal blood glucose level shot up to almost 300, instead of the typical 120-140 ranges I was accustomed to seeing, and required a substantial shot of insulin to correct.

The sad fact of the matter is that all too many certified dietitians and nutritionists are dispensing advice to diabetics that can/will undermine any chance of establishing effective dietary management of their diabetes.

For an excellent source of 'real' dietary advice for diabetes management, check out Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Not only informative, it's also an entertaining look at the dietary lifestyle changes involved in effectively managing your diabetes. Here's an example-

"The fallacy that eating fat will make you fat is about as scientifically logical as saying that eating tomatoes will turn you red."


http://www.diabetes-book.com/



All logos, trade names, trade marks, and photos of the same belong to their respective owners. The use of such material in this article falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment